Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Protective Styling

I'm currently learning on how to protectively style my hair to maintain length and healthy hair. I have to be honest, I have heard of protective styling before but never really thought I would be interested because I did not want to look like a teacher from "Little House on the Prairie"(btw: LOVE that show). I recently watched fellow curlies on YouTube discuss why protective styling is important and how to protectively style your hair. I learned some valuable insights.

Basically black women that have curly hair also have dryer hair (the tighter the curl the dryer the hair). When the hair follicle is dry it is susceptible to breakage. Moisture sometime isn't enough so we must protect it from natural outside irritants (sun, wind, etc..). The weakest part of our hair will need the most protection of course. Unfortunately, the weakest part of our hair is the part that we want to show off, the end. So in order to maintain a healthy length then we must protect our ends.

As you know I have type 4a,b hair so my hair get dry. After watching videos I wanted to become a "natural" at wearing protective styles. I recently straightened my hair (much rather it curly again...will discuss later :) and have been practicing with protective updo's. While testing out new protective styles, I learned how to make them work for my hair and style.

Do you protectively style?

Picture 1: high loose bun
Picture 2: added a purple flower for some fun
Picture 3, 4, 5: I couldn't take straight hari much loner so I slightly wet and flat twisted my hair then let it out. I used the sock bun method with just my curly hair and added a blue head band for some extra spice






























Until the next time,

Love your curls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment